Medical Billing Instructor at Union County College
Position: Medical Billing Instructor
Department: Center for Economic & Workforce Development (CEWD)
Reports to: Director, CEWD or designee
Level: Part time; hourly
Provide classroom instruction to workforce development students on Medical Billing. Prepare students for entry-level employment as a Medical Biller and to pass the Certified Professional Biller (COB), American Association of Professional Coders exam. In conjunction with staff members, perform instruction, and reporting requirements as specified by director. Because of the frequent contractual and programmatic changes at the CEWD, instructor requirements may be modified according to program and students’ needs. This is a part-time position -20 hours a week
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities:
- Provides Medical Billing instruction a to workforce development students. Including anatomy and physiology, medical terminology and software skills (MediSoft). Communicates class content to students so that learning occurs, skills are developed, and students are motivated to learn and achieve their training objectives.
- Prepare students for entry-level employment as a Medical Biller and to pass the Certified Professional Biller (COB), American Association of Professional Coders exam.
- Instruct students on posting payments, how to submit claims compliant with government regulations and private payer policies, how to follow-up on claim statuses, resolve claim denials, submit appeals, post payments and adjustments, and manage collections.
- Prepare and enter monthly grades in CEWD database Participant Evaluation Reports PERS upon notification of readiness
- Conduct required assessments.
- Prepare course syllabus.
- Accepts all other assignments which help CEWD realize contractual goals.
- Respond to program requests.
- Travel to all campuses and satellite locations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by unit supervisor and CEWD administration.
- At all times exercise professionalism and confidentiality with staff and students.
Minimum of High School Diploma required with 3+ years’ experience in the medical field and formal training from an accredited institution.Associate Degree in the Health Care fieldis preferred.Certified Professional Coder or Certified Coding Associate certification preferred.
- Relevant instructional experience or equivalent.
- Knowledge of navigation of healthcare industry rules and regulations, including HIPAA, False Claims Act, Fair Debt Collections Act, and Stark Law and an understanding of the life cycle of a medical billing claim and how to improve the revenue cycle.
- Prior experience with underserved population.
- Strong computer, interpersonal and organizational skills.
Competencies and Skills Required:
- Ability to multi-task in a busy environment.
- Ability to work with persons of varied education, experience, social and economic backgrounds.
- Ability to remain discreet with student and staff information.
- Commitment to service and a diverse student population.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to travel to other campuses, CEWD satellites and/or other satellites assigned as needed.
- Flexibility of schedule.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
Terms of Employment:
Flexible schedule to meet department needs. Part-time hours not to exceed 25 per week. Some evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required. Ability and willingness to travel on short notice to all on and off- campus sites as needed by the college. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.
Position will be terminated upon expiration of grant funding.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
- Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Some travel required.
All applicants must apply on-line at: https://ucc.peopleadmin.com/postings/5112
The Union County College Website is https://www.ucc.edu/
Union County College does not discriminate and prohibits discrimination, as required by state and/or federal law, in all programs and activities, including employment and access to its career and technical programs.
Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.